Saturday, March 18, 2006

Minnehaha Falls/Lake Rabun - Rabun Co. GA

The following 10 or 15 pictures were taken at Minnehaha Falls in Rabun County, Georgia.Not to be confused with a waterfall in Minnesota by the same name, Minnehaha is 60 feet high bordered by steep slopes on either side.

Finding the place isn't nearly as difficult as I made it. I missed the road the falls are on and ended up ascending a mountain I never thought would end. Eventually, I decided to descend and retrace my steps and finally figured out which road I was supposed to take to get to the trail leading to these falls. The trail is about 1.5 miles down a dirt road...and the trail itself isn't a bad hike at all. However, getting to the top of the falls is a bit tricky. It's virtually straight up in some places and you have to hold on to branches and tree trunks to pull yourself up. I was hoping the view at the top would be a little better than it was, but it is covered in dense forest at the top with no really good overlooks. Despite that, the falls are beautiful and seems to be a popular place; I met no fewer than 15 people hiking up to look at the falls in the short time I was there.

Here's a link to info on Minnehaha Falls:

http://georgiatrails.com/trails/minnehahafalls.html Posted by Picasa

No comments: